Monday, July 30, 2012

milk drunk

Mom sent me this picture from the California State Fair--little piglets in a milk stupor...

Steve doesn't get milk-drunk so often nowadays, but still does every once in a while when he's missed a nap or had a shorter nap than usual prior to eating. I caught one about a week ago...

I'll only let him stay sleeping on my lap like this if he's really had a rough day and needs the sleep. Otherwise I'll sit him right up to burp and have some activity time. We have managed to separate eating and sleeping rather effectively--maybe too effectively. When he was less than 2 months old he would invariably fall asleep during his last feeding of the day and we would just carry him sleeping to his crib and put him down for the night. Then for a while he would fall asleep during his last feeding and we would sit him up to burp him and he would wake up just a little bit as we did that and carried him to the crib. Now, though, he's so used to having awake time after eating (it's what we do during the daytime of course) that he usually has to be awake for at least a half hour if not an hour before going down for the night. If we try to put him in the crib before he thinks he's ready it becomes quite the ordeal. We're all learning, though. Last night we started doing our bedtime routine (diaper, jammies, singing, story, prayer, bed) around a half-hour after he ate and by the time we were done he went to sleep with a minimum of fussing and no need for us to return to the room. And not to make any other new moms out there too jealous, but the last 4 nights he's slept 11 hours straight! No feedings in the middle of the night. Of course, I usually still wake up at some point during the night, and I often check on him just because I know I'll sleep better if I do, but as this continues hopefully I'll be able to get a full uninterrupted night and be better rested in the morning.

No comments: