Mike really needs to learn how to spell Rachael, since we will be eternally indebted to her and Tom for introducing us back in November. I think it was after our third date that Rachael informed me that we would be required to name our firstborn after one of them. We are thinking perhaps a cat.
So, what was the set-up like on the other end? It was October 31, 2006 and I was boycotting Halloween. Well, not boycotting the entire holiday, just the trick-or-treaters in my neighborhood. I love seeing the little kids in their costumes, but it annoys me to no end when teenagers come by in their regular clothes and expect you to give them candy. At least make an effort, people. Anyway, I went to Tom and Rachael's to get away and I was regaling them with my latest eHarmony bad-date story, after which I had cancelled my membership and gone on a self-imposed dating hiatus.
"But I'm ready for something new, so put on your thinking caps!"
(Rachael and Tom exchange a very suspicious, knowing look.)
"What was that about?"
"Well, Tom has a friend named Mike, and we think the two of you would get along really well. And we're pretty sure he's a Christian because he's always carrying around a bag that says Lutheran Brotherhood on it."
"Well, set it up and we'll see how it goes. If we hit it off, super; if not, it will be another great bad-date story."
And as much as I love telling a good bad-date story, I'm glad Tom and Rachael were right.
No comments:
Post a Comment